Re: [Xen-users] Xen newbie question

To: Michael Mey <michael.mey@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen newbie question
From: "Eric S. Johansson" <esj@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 11:03:15 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 16:04:33 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Michael Mey wrote:
I really need to automate the image construction process so we will have
a repeatable process for producing these images.
Try this one:
http://www.tahina.priv.at/~cm/talks/setup-xen-debian

for debian, it seems to work kinda..

Starting deferred execution scheduler: atd.
Starting periodic command scheduler: cron.
INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

for ubuntu, it also failed. the problem is that even if I could get debian to work, I need to work from an umbuntu base. so onto the failures:

I: Configuring gnupg...
I: Configuring ubuntu-keyring...
W: Failure while configuring base packages.  This will be attempted 5 times.
W: Failure while configuring base packages.  This will be attempted 5 times.
W: Failure while configuring base packages.  This will be attempted 5 times.
W: Failure while configuring base packages.  This will be attempted 5 times.
W: Failure while configuring base packages.  This will be attempted 5 times.
I: Base system installed successfully.

+ chroot /mnt /usr/bin/aptitude upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Initializing package states... Done
root@xeno:~#

and it had a whole lot more to do. I've been racking my brain and can't quite remember what magic mode of failure makes a shell script terminate without any error messages in mid-script. what's infuriating is the debian version goes through the identical segment without a problem.

any ideas on how to fix this problem?

of course, it strikes me that it should be possible to create a disk image by using qemu and a bootable CD-ROM image. The problem is, you get a real disk image complete with partitions and since the Linux loopback device is a botched job that can't cope with petitions and that the magic cylinder, heads, and sectors are guessed at, it's damned difficult to try and pull a partition out of a file based disk image. So far, I've failed every time.

The only tool I've really found that gets it right is losetup but making a copy of the mounted partition via /dev/loopX gives me

root@xeno:/home/esj# mount -o loop ubuntu-server-root.img  /virt_disk/
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop7,
       missing codepage or other error
       dmesg | tail  or so

when I come back from shoveling snow, I'll try making a cp level copy of the partition onto a new straight file image.

---eric