Re: [Xen-users] xen 3.0 amd64 crash... seems to be tied into disk i/o,>

To: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xen 3.0 amd64 crash... seems to be tied into disk i/o,> 4 gig ram
From: Matt Ayres <matta@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 10:17:42 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 15:19:44 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tom Brown wrote:
On Thu, 8 Dec 2005, Ian Pratt wrote:

Looking at thhe oops message, this is with a 3ware card, right?
We've had at least one other report of them causing problems on systems
with >4GB enabled (or maybe it was you?)

Yes, I am (or was) using a 3ware controller, since the on board sata
controller is a marvell one, and the native linux drivers seem flaky as
can be. I've only had the 3ware card for about a week, and don't believe I
have written about it. I was going to ask on this list about the MCE,
since I don't know of a better list for asking questions about big opteron
systems.

I was the other who reported (via bugzilla, #402) a crash with 3ware. I was told the 3ware driver does not look >4GB safe. I run the same hardware specs using other (non-xen) kernels using PAE and >4GB and have absolutely no troubles though. I am still in a re-testing phase since 3.0.0 was announced. I have yet to put customers on this setup (which is where whatever can happen, will happen).