[Xen-users] domU cannot see VBD devices

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] domU cannot see VBD devices
From: Adrian Bridgett <adrian.bridgett@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 12:09:41 +0000
Delivery-date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 10:32:25 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm unable to get any domU to see VBD devices exported from domain0. The machine in question uses an aic7xxx SCSI card which oopses in the SCSI domain validation code (nothing to do with Xen) code running 2.6.12. Therefore my domain0 kernel I compiled up from the 2.6.14 merge mercurial repository.

The domainU kernel is from the latest xen-unstable_x86_32 snapshot (since menuconfig seems to only let you set domain0 or domainU, but not both). This boots okay, but cannot see the VBD device (I've tried exporting /dev/rootvg/xmdeb as both hda and sda - is there a recommendation?)

I've attached the output of diagnose.py and various logs from xend/xenstore (including tracing turned on). Diagnostics says "Backend is in state Initialising".

I suspect that it's something in the udev setup that's not quite working correctly. Base install is Debian sarge (I manually copied the rules.d/* files over since it had set itself up for hotplug).

File based VBD with ttylinux doesn't work either (same issue).

I may well be missing something blindingly obvious - I've only used the excellent demo CD before :-)

Many thanks,

Adrian

--
Adrian Bridgett <adrian.bridgett@xxxxxxxxxx>

#
# XEN
#
CONFIG_XEN_PRIVILEGED_GUEST=y
# CONFIG_XEN_UNPRIVILEGED_GUEST is not set
CONFIG_XEN_PHYSDEV_ACCESS=y
CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_BACKEND=y
# CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_TAP_BE is not set
CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_BACKEND=y
# CONFIG_XEN_TPMDEV_BACKEND is not set
CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_FRONTEND=y
CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_FRONTEND=y
# CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_FRONTEND_PIPELINED_TRANSMITTER is not set
# CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_TAP is not set
# CONFIG_XEN_TPMDEV_FRONTEND is not set
# CONFIG_XEN_SHADOW_MODE is not set
CONFIG_XEN_SCRUB_PAGES=y