[Xen-users] FC4, Xen 2 issues: udev, eth0, disk

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] FC4, Xen 2 issues: udev, eth0, disk
From: Scott MacKay <scottmackay@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 07:24:49 -0800 (PST)
Delivery-date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 15:22:03 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello!
   I have a Fedora Core 4 box with Xen loaded, the Xen
packages being xen-2-20050522,
kernel-xenU-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4, and
kernel-xen0-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4.  The install was from
Issue 52 of Linux User & Developer DVD.
  I installed my system with a developer level install
and several 3G slices, no UI (just command line).  I
dump/restore-ed by OS onto a slice to act as a domU.
After some tweaks, it does seem to run well with a few
exceptions (xen file at end):

a.  udev fails to load
udev seems to fail at boot.  Not sure if it affects
anything I need though.  Is this an issue of domU
memory (64M)?

b.  eth0 fails
I do not seem to get a dhcp for eth0.  brutils are
loaded on the main dom0 and I do see a vif entry.  I
also 'see' an eth0 device on the domU, however the
dhcping seems to fail. I have tried adding the dhcp
key into the xen config and uncommenting the script,
but no combination seems to give me a eth0.

c.  hard drive access
One of the things I am trying to do is benchmarking.
I am trying to use lmbench however by default there is
no hda, just the hda1 from the config.  I did try
adding in a definition mapping hda on dom0 (read
only), but get an error from the lmbench about an
ioctl failure.  I have seen others write about lmbench
performance on a domU so wanted to check with the list
if there was anything special to get the hard drive
test working or if that is something you cannot do in
a domU.

--------'xen2' config file-------
kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4xenU"
memory = 64
name = "xen2"
nics=1
vif = [ 'mac=aa:00:00:00:00:11, bridge=xen-br0' ]
disk = [ 'phy:hda2,hda1,w' ]
dhcp="dhcp"
hostname= "xen2"
root = "/dev/hda1 ro"