RE: [Xen-users] Re: Live Migration Config

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005, Ian Pratt wrote:

> > The following configurable controls should be implemented for
> > Xen migration.
> >
> > 1. The migration port.
> > 2. The network interface(s) that the migration service listens on.
> > 3. The maximum # of allowed concurrent incoming migrations
> > from a foreign host.
> > 4.  Observance of the /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny
> > access controls (or the same within a Xen config file).
> > 5.  Some simple way to turn off incoming migration completely.
>
> 1, 2 & 5 are already possible; 4 is simple and is on the todo list[*]. 3
> is more of a higher level tools issue.

1 is a parameter to xfrd when it is started.
5 is (obviously) part of the xen startup scripts...
3 is (IMHO) bizarre. xfrd isn't a daemon you expect to be making frequent
  connections to. It could even be single threaded.

IMHO, 2 doesn't work the way most people want it to. If you have two boxes
next to each other, you can route the 127.0.0.0/8 subnet to your neighbour
and connect the 127.0.0.1 on your neighbour. To achieve the "only accept
xfrd requests on one interface", I believe you have to use your firewall
rules... yes, binding to 127.0.0.1 makes it unlikely that you're going to
be connected to from the wild internet.

> The correct soloution is probably to have an 'xm migraterx' command that
> generates a session key that has to be handed to 'xm migratetx'. The
> actual transfer can then be authenticated, and potentially encrypted.
> However, this will not be in 3.0.0.

hhmm, In that line of thought, I'd probably suggest
6. some form of authentication, anything, even a simple shared "secret"
   would be better than wide open.

I'll post some firewall rules shortly. I meant to do it last night.

-Tom