Re: [Xen-users] Xen + networking woes

To: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen + networking woes
From: jaikumar Ganesh <jaikumarg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 21:48:59 -0500
Cc: sowmya@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 02:46:15 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Tom
   I understand your point.
My machine has a static IP address and I don't have any many more IP address available on the subnet that I can assign to my domains..

So we wanted our domains to be on private network on that machine. How do we go about doing this?

I hope i am making sense.

Thanks

On 10/26/05, Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, jaikumar Ganesh wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> Basically we want all xen (dom-0 and other VMs to be on a private network).
>
> We have the following configuration:
>
> We have a machine with a statically assigned IP (
> 192.168.0.1<http://192.168.0.1>).
> This machine has 2 nics (eth0 and eth1). eth0 has the IP address
> 192.168.0.1<http://192.168.0.1>.
> eth1 is not connected.
>
> So we basically want a virtual machine network 10.10.10.x, so all VMs take
> address from this range. ( 10.10.10.x).
>
> eth1 is assigned IP 10.10.10.1 <http://10.10.10.1> and dhcp server for the
> network 10.10.10.x runs on the same machine.
>
> We want xen domain-0 to be on eth1

^--- that line doesn't make any sense to me. dom0 is basically the master
domain, it is the only domain that seems the physical ethernet cards.
Unless you are running domains on other physical machines, you do not need
nor want eth1 ... so "routing" between eth0 and eth1 is not needed, and
could easily get you into trouble. Just leave eth1 down (forget/pretend
that it doesn't exist). Xen will create virtual ethernet cards for all the
domUs...

-Tom