Re: [Xen-users] SSL TOE

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] SSL TOE
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 17:09:15 +0100
Cc: Richard Sperry <sysop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 16:07:33 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Richard Sperry wrote:
> > I am looking into using XEN on for a Java based app.  Is it possible to
> > hook a DomU to a TOE?  More specifically a quad port with OpenSSL access,
> > one port on the card to each DomU?
>
> Not yet. This would require driver domains working, and of
> course the requisite support from the guest OS stack, etc.
> I believe this is a post-3.0 feature..

Also, I suspect you might not be able to "split" the card between domains in
this way.  We certainly can't split different functions of a single PCI card
between domains, and I'm not sure that it's really possible to do in
general...

You'd ideally want an intelligent NIC that could demultiplex to multiple
domains - there are some of these coming onto the market now and they'll
probably get more popular over time.

Cheers,
Mark