Re: [Xen-users] v2.0.7 dom0 hang during boot

To: "Karsten M. Self" <karsten@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] v2.0.7 dom0 hang during boot
From: "John Madden" <jmadden@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 09:35:19 -0500 (EST)
Cc: "Karsten M. Self" <karsten@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 14:32:32 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Fails-during-boot process may be a result of not having certain device
> files present.  Ensure that you've got, in your Dom0 image, null, zero,
> and console:
>
>     cd <dom0 root>/dev
>     for d null zero console; do MAKEDEV -x $d; done

The devices all exist, I'm using the same root for dom0 as I am for the regular
system boot, just changing the kernel from a standard one to a Xen setup.

> Note that MAKDEV syntax varies somewhat among Linux distros, above
> should work for RH / SuSE / CentOS, FC.

Running Debian 3.1 here.

> Alternatively, try booting single user or using 'init=/bin/bash' to see
> what does / doesn't work in your dom0.  You can specify these by passing
> arguments to the kernel via GRUB.

The system isn't getting to INIT, it's stopping just prior to mounting the root
filesystem.  It's odd too that at this kjournald stage, it hangs as if it's
waiting on something, it's not like the box locks up or anything -- it still
passes the "caps lock test."

More reading in the archives... So this is a 64-bit install of Debian and all of
my compiling's been done on this box -- could that be the problem?

John

--
John Madden
UNIX Systems Engineer