Re: [Xen-users] Re: Switch, IP from provider and private address for dom

To: Denny Schierz <cuall@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: Switch, IP from provider and private address for domU
From: Charles Duffy <cduffy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 07:01:51 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 12:02:19 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, 2005-10-16 at 13:12 +0200, Denny Schierz wrote:
> Charles Duffy schrieb:
> > You should masquerade connections from your DomUs to the outside world,
> > instead of connecting the bridge they're on directly to your physical
> > ethernet device on the dom0.
>
> i don't find any documentation on google or xen homepage. Can you write
> a little howto for us?

Not now, no.

However, general documentation on IP masquerading (non-Xen-specific) is
widely available.

All you need to do is disconnect your outside ethernet device from the
bridge (say, by making a modified version
of /etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge which gets rid of everything in
op_start() except the create_bridge call, and in op_stop does nothing
but remove and clear the bridge, and pointing the network-script setting
in /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp at this new script), and then look for one
of the many many many publicly available documents on general-purpose IP
masquerading to determine how to set up masquerading between the bridge
(actually the veth0 device, which should have its other side, vif0.0,
connected to the bridge) and the outside world.