Re: [Xen-users] booting domU with current xen-unstable?

On Sat, 2005-10-01 at 01:23 -0700, Tom Brown wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, Kip Macy wrote:
>
> > A lot of people have been having problems lately, however, I'm happily
> > running a 4-way guest on a build from last Sunday. If you're using
> > loopback you need an absolute path to the file, and you need to have
> > udev or at least hotplug scripts installed in order for the backend to
> > be brought up.
>
> Nope... just a simple raw partition... I had trouble with LVM a long time
> ago and haven't gone back to anything fancy... although I should for some
> of our stuff.
>
> kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6-xenU"
> memory = 256
> name = "centos"
> disk = [ 'phy:/dev/sdd3,hda1,w' ]
> root = "/dev/hda1"
> extra = "ro single "
>
> The box is a dual 2.8Ghz xeon, 4 gig of RAM, 4 SATA drives. I did
> complile my own kernel... The same config file runs fine under
> 2.0-testing ... (I just booted it and then had to stop to figure
> out why it was working -- duh, not running 2.0-unstable anymore)...
> (I haven't looked at it since the 28th.)
>
> -Tom

If you want to use LVM make sure the kernel supports it, very easy to
miss that setting. Also it appears you need to have scsi support in your
domU as well, and whatever filesystem /dev/sdd3 make sure that domU has
support for that as well. Make sure your domU's fstab jive's with the
config. You can try ##xen on irc and put some stuff up at pastebin to
get help as well.

For kicks what happens if you use a loop image instead of a partition?

Regards,
Ted