Re: [Xen-users] xen on a remote computer, installing virtual machines wi

To: Sueveges Gyoergy <georg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xen on a remote computer, installing virtual machines without cds
From: "John A. Sullivan III" <jsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 09:09:37 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 13:07:23 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 00:25 +0200, Sueveges Gyoergy wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>   I have just downloaded xen. We rent a computer with suse 9.3 (1000km from
> here, access with ssh2). I'd like to install 2 virtual machines (both with
> suse), of course without CD or floppy (due to distance). So I have no X
> and no CD. In this case what can be the best way to install xen, and the
> virtual machines?
>
> Thnx
>   George
>
> ps: As I see in the documentation, xen can be configured only with grub. I
> have lilo, so xen with lilo is not possible?
I'm certainly no Xen expert but I don't think I've seen a reply to you
yet so I'll try :)

I'd guess that you'd scp xen and any dependencies to the remote server.
Install xen as normal.  I don't know what you are doing for disk space
for the domUs.  I use logical volumes.  You can then mount the domU
partitions in either the original system or the dom0, copy in all the
system files, edit the configuration files, e.g., fstab, hosts for each
domU, create your domain definitions and you should be able to start
them.  We do almost all of our xen administration remotely.
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation

If you would like to participate in the development of an open source
enterprise class network security management system, please visit
http://iscs.sourceforge.net