Re: [Xen-users] will there be an Alpha port ?

To: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] will there be an Alpha port ?
From: DEMAINE B-P <nntp_pipex@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 07:16:14 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 03:18:25 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> You'll need to get hold of an Alpha architecture manual and grok through all
> the lowlevel code in the kernel: firstly, you'll need to be familiar with
> this to get Xen itself to run on Alpha, secondly you'll need to modify this
> for the Alpha port of XenLinux.  A good understanding of the Linux memory
> management code would be useful too.

that is gonna be the hard part for me.

> It'll probably be a nicer architecture to virtualise than x86 (which is
> really
> hard)

thats my point :)

>From theory, I think it ought to be easier to code Xen for Alpha first, rather
>than
reverse engineer the x86 source, then try to make things smarter for Alpha ...

> but you should still expect it to be a rather major project.

An other topic which leads me to time dependency ... a dep which is not to be
discussed in here.

> I assume you've thought about UML but want better performance?  If you need
> get the server up and running soon, you might also like to consider Linux
> Vserver http://linux-vserver.org/.  This is a kernel patch that gives you
> virtual machine functionality similar to FreeBSD jails / Solaris Zones.  You
> can't do live-migration or run multiple difference operating systems but you
> *can* give several people "root" on virtual servers (running multiple
> distributions), with near native performance.
>
> For a simple way to install a vserver, you could try using "debootstrap", or
> just untar the Gentoo base tarballs (if there's an Alpha port of Gentoo???).

no; I found vserver hard to install on Gentoo, hard to conf on Debian, and
several
friends told me that they are not that much secure.

I really think that xen on Alpha would be EFFICIENT /and/ SECURE.

***

so answer to my question is:
yes it is feasable, but nobody planed it yet.

--
DEMAINE Benoit-Pierre (aka DoubleHP ) http://www.demaine.info/
\_o< If computing were an exact science, IT engineers would not have work >o_/