[Xen-users] Number of domains versus memory usage

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Number of domains versus memory usage
From: Brian Johnson <blj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 11:33:34 -0400
Delivery-date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 15:31:23 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hey fellow xen'ers -

We are going to be setting up a new Xen server, my first, and I have a
question.  From what I have gathered reading through the documentation, you are
limited in the number of domains you can have running by the amount of memory
you have.  Our server is going to be starting with 4GB of ram.

Now, if we want to have domains with 1GB of ram, does this mean we can only
have 4 domains?  Or is there a more dynamic way of doing this?  In other words,
something like, "Domain1 can use up to 1GB of ram, Domain2 can use up to 2GB of
ram, Domain3 can use up to 4GB of ram".  And any time Domain3 needs 4GB, it can
have it if it's free, otherwise it has to swap.

Is that even possible?  Or is there another solution?  Or am I understanding
the docs totally wrong?  Any help with this is GREATLY appreciated.  Thanks!

Brian Johnson
Systems Administrator
ThermoAnalytics, Inc.
Ph:  906-482-9560 x210