Fwd: [Xen-users] Re: Newbie: How to run Xwindows in the guest OS

To: Xen Xen <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Fwd: [Xen-users] Re: Newbie: How to run Xwindows in the guest OS
From: Michael Kowalchik <mike.pk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 19:02:06 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 22:59:53 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I think you're going to want an Xserver thats not on a domU machine, I'm using Apple's X11 Xserver to connect to X on my domU machines.

For something on the same physical machine, if you can get an X session running on the Dom0 machine I imagine you could use an ssh tunnel to the DomU machine and run 'gdmflexiserver --xnest' (assuming you're running gdm) and it will run an X session from the domU machine in a window on the dom0 machine (I'm guessing, my dom0 is very sparse with no X). I just started playing with this so I'm sure there's a better way, I just haven't figured it out. I'm using ssh from my mac and then this command to bring up a gnome desktop in a window.

Oh and if you want to change the geometry of the window with the gdmflexiserver command above you have to change the xnest entry in gdm.conf

I found a paper on gdm useful http://www.gnome.org/projects/gdm/ gdmtalk.pdf .

-MK