Re: [Xen-users] can dom1 access hardware that isn't available in dom0?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] can dom1 access hardware that isn't available in dom0?
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 04:15:28 +0100
Cc: no-ctrl <no-ctrl@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 03:11:33 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I want to try and install Xen, but I still have to make up my mind on the
> host OS. I would like to use Gentoo as host, but I'm afraid I might not get
> all my hardware to work with it. If for instance I don't get the USB
> support to work in het host OS, is it then still possible to get it to work
> in the guest OS?

Yes, you can hide devices from dom0 and give them to a domU instead.

When you're starting out it's easiest to give dom0 all devices.  You shouldn't
have any problem getting USB to work under Linux these days - don't know much
about Gentoo but in my (recent) experience, Fedora, SuSE and Ubuntu all work
extremely well in terms of hardware support and integration (even popping up
little icons on your desktop on connect :-) ).

> Sounds like a stupid question, but I just hope I'm wrong when I think the
> obvious...that it isn't possible.. :-(

Dedicating devices in this way should work fine under Xen 2.0.  Xen 3.x will
gain more advanced sharing capabilities but they're not all ready yet.

Cheers,
Mark