[Xen-users] Re: Debian: Move /lib/tls out of the way makes a lot of bina

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: Debian: Move /lib/tls out of the way makes a lot of binaries to break
From: Markus Schuster <ma.schuster@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 21:48:31 +0200
Delivery-date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:00:50 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ernst Bachmann schrieb:
> So: recompile your glibc. check if some apps still make xen complain
> about /lib/tls, those are either statically linked against the previous glibc
> or contain incompatible memory acesses themself, generated by inline asm or
> gcc optimizations.
>
> recompiling those apps with CFLAGS=-mno-tls-direct-seg-refs shoud fix it.

Thanks a lot for all your help! Now I have a XEN-working libc6 debian
package. And it looks like most of my apps don't make problems so I
don't have to recompile them. Only mplayer and the nvidia-glx initscript
(what is not needed within a XEN domU of course) are triggering the tls
error message.

@Andy Lee
I had no problems rebuilding the libc6 package on sarge. Here is what I
did (maybe usefull for others, too):
# apt-get build-dep libc6
$ apt-get source libc6
Then I've edited the debian/rules file and added
'-mno-tls-direct-seg-refs' to both BUILD_CFLAGS and HOST_CFLAGS.
Then I did a
$ dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
And voilá, after some time of compiling I got some debian packages as
expected. I've installed libc6 and libc6-i686 and put both packages on
hold so they are not updated.

Greetings,
Markus