Re: [Xen-users] Switches and a moving MAC address

To: "Andreas Bach Aaen (AH/TED)" <andreas.bach.aaen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Switches and a moving MAC address
From: "Dirk H. Schulz" <dirk.schulz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 08:18:10 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 06:16:07 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Andreas Bach Aaen (AH/TED) schrieb:

Hi,

I have a succesfull XEN 2.06 installation with a DomU running with it's rootfs over NFS. I can migrate this GuestOS between hosts on the same switches network. I connect to my GuestOS over tcp (ssh). The transfer of the GuestOS takes about 4 seconds, and with the live option it should be for a very short period where the GuestOS actually is stopped. After the transfer it takes 20-30 seconds before the GuestOS becomes responsive again. Which kind of timeout it this?

When you move an IP address to another MAC address you typically send out an unsolicited ARP to update the arp caches on the other hosts on the network to ensure correct routing at once. Are there any similar thing I could do to make sure that the switch will broadcast the next packet for the MAC address that suddenly has moved to another port?

Do you migrate your domU together with a fixed MAC address or is it chosen by xend?

Dirk