Re: [Xen-users] Xen on production enviroment

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen on production enviroment
From: Ramiro Willmersdorf <willmerstrog@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 19:38:42 +0000 (GMT)
Delivery-date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 22:24:12 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Well, I guess it depends a lot on what version do you use.
I used to run the stable version and was mostly happy with it,
I had some random lock-ups, missed interrupts from the hard disk,
which I cannot say were related to Xen or were a hardware problem.

Now, I'm having a terrible time the the FC4 rpms, which I understand
are based on Xen unstable.
Basically I've given up on making Domain_0 to communicate with
the guest domains via the network.

I tried every possible network setup, routed, bridged-new, bridged-old,
all to no avail. I ended up with the old style bridged setup because it
was the last one I tried.

Everything else works, I evenhave a DHCP server in one of the guest
domains, which serves machines on a different subnet from the rest of
the machines, and everything works fine (as it was before), but I
cannot, for instance, ssh from Domain_0 to a guest domain.

I can ssh to anyother machine and ssh back to the guest domain from
there, and it works fine, only the direct connection fails, it hangs
never completes. I even used ethereal to try to figure what was going
on, but couldn't find anything, the connection just hangs there waiting
for a packet that never arrives.

The guest domains cannot connect to Domain_0 either, which is
unpleasant
because on my setup I had some common services (DNS, nfs, etc.)
running on domain_0. I had to move this inside a guest domain.

Also, there are some issues with domains failing to shutdown properly,
and I've had one or two or three instant reboots when xm destroying
these wedged domains.

NOT that I'm complaining, mind you, it's not called
unstable for nothing :)

Apart from that, it's working really fine. I don't know if it is a
psychological effect of all the trouble I went through, but on one
of the guest domains that uses the disk a lot (a gentoo instalation :)
it seems *a lot* faster.

BTW, I 'upgraded' because I wanted to try GFS, and I thought it
would be easier to use a redhat kernel that had all the stuff already
patched in. I'm not so sure right now...