Re: [Xen-users] Defining PCI values

To: Marcus Brown <marcusbrutus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Defining PCI values
From: "Dirk H. Schulz" <dirk.schulz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 19:37:26 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 17:35:22 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Marcus,

Marcus Brown schrieb:

Hi Dirk,

Just ignore the leading "0000"

so 0000:02:01.0 would be:
phys_dom0_hide=(02:01.0)
pci = ['02,01,0']
Thanks! That was, what I was looking for.

Now I tried that – the physdev_dom0_hide=(02:01.0) – but it does not seem to work. After the reboot lspci still lists the NIC I excluded with the physdev-hide parameter, and the kernel of dom0 has connected it as eth0 like before.

Or did I misunderstand the concept? Does physdev-hide not hide from the dom0-kernel?

One more thing: I tried compiling a kernel for my driver domain (the firewall-to-be) putting in all options that I thought would make sense. The result is a kernel that crashes immediately on start (even with a standard config the xenu-kernel from option-c.com works with). I have to admit I am not much of a kernel shaper yet.

Could you send me the config of your firewall-kernel as a base so I could add my NIC and start researching from a more elaborate point? If so, please send it to my address directly to not bother folks on the list with attachments.

Thanks for your help in any case.

Dirk

Marcus.

Dirk H. Schulz wrote:
Hi Markus,

Marcus Brown schrieb:

Hi Dirk,

You'll find that grub's menu needs syntax like:
kernel          /xen-2.0.7.gz root=/dev/ram0 ro dom0_mem=131072
physdev_dom0_hide=(00:0a.0)(00:0b.0)(00:06.0)

and that a domain config file needs:
pci = ['00,0b,0', '00,0a,0' ]

I found both in your example configs in the firewall thread.

From memory this is explained in the xen users manual.

That only states "The components (/x/, / y/ and /z/) of the list may be
formatted as either decimal or hexadecimal".

My problem is: How do I *translate* from

0000:02:01.0

to these two notations? I still did not really comprehend what
hexadecimal exactly is and I do not know what "0000:02:01.0" is ...

Somewhere I found a hint that the output of lspci can be used in both
configs - that is why I tried that.

Thanks for your help.

Dirk

Marcus.

Dirk H. Schulz wrote:

Hi folks,

I am trying to set up a driver domain (I want to add a privileged domain
that is responsible for network interfaces).

lspci gives me the following values for my NICs:

0000:02:01.0 Ethernet controller: ....
0000.02.02.0 Ethernet controller: ....

Now what do I have to write into the domain config file (pci =
['0000:02:01.0','0000:02:02.0'] is not accepted=?
And what do I have to write into /boot/grub/menu.lst?
physdev_dom0_hide=(0000:02:01.0)(0000:02:01.0) does not lead to hiding
the two pci devices.

I hope it is just a syntax error. :-)

Dirk