Re: [Xen-users] communication between dom0 and domu

To: Arijit Ganguly <aganguly@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] communication between dom0 and domu
From: Anthony Liguori <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 18:19:58 -0500
Cc: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 23:18:21 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Arijit Ganguly wrote:

All, Is there any way we can set up a communication channel (not a TCP/IP
based network) between domain0 and unprivileged domains. This can be
useful in a way that we can write automatic configuration mechanisms
for our unprivileged VMs.
If you look either at the testsuite I wrote for the console daemon (tools/console/testsuite in unstable) or in Dan's xm-test (http://static.danplanet.com/xm-test/xm-test-0.1.0.tar.gz), you'll see we've both implemented very similiar protocols that allow commands to be executed over a domU's console from dom0.

The natural extension of this (when we get multiple console support) is to dedicate a console channel to something like this that would give you precisely what you'd want.

Actually, if I were you, I'd just set up a dummy nic that wasn't routed outside of dom0 and have ssh bind to only that interface in domU. It's a bit heavier weight but it gets the job done (in a very robust way).

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Illustration:
I have a domainU running on a host, which doesn;t have network
connectivity (like ssh). I just use the VM as a environment I can
issue commands and get results.  Ports on domain0 are blocked
preventing me from accessing the VM console. I do not have an account
in domain0 for security.
What can be done is running a truested software on domain0, which
takes commands and runs them inside domainU and returns me the
results.

The bottomline is a communication channel between dom0 and domU. Any ideas?

Arijit