Re: [Xen-users] Using zebra

To: Gobbledegeek <gobbledegeek@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Using zebra
From: "Nick Couchman" <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 08:21:24 -0600
Delivery-date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 14:51:24 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
It doesn't seem to me that you really need to run a routing daemon on each of the virtual servers, unless you want them on different subnets. If you have all the virtual servers on the same subnet, you could just set up a tun/tap inteface on your host O/S and set up the xen-br0 bridge on that interface. Configure your virtual servers and your host server's tap0 interface on the same subnet, then set up your host server to do routing of some sort or another (either plain routing or NAT). If you do need them on different subnets, then zebra might be the way to go. I've messed around with it before, but not in great depth. If you did run Zebra, you would probably need to run it on both the host O/S and all of the VM's. This would certainly work, but, unless you have a good reason for having each of the VM's on a different subnet, it's probably best to keep them all in one place.

Nick Couchman
Systems Integrator
SEAKR Engineering, Inc.
6221 South Racine Circle
Centennial, CO 80111
Main: (303) 790-8499
Fax: (303) 790-8720
Web: http://www.seakr.com

>>> Gobbledegeek < gobbledegeek@xxxxxxxxx > 2005/08/31 23:50:45 >>>
Hello
Anyone used Zebra routing daemon and created virtual routers
before? Is it possible to run OSPF/BGP on each virtual server and get
them to talk to each other?
I'm new to Xen and I need to know... I will be trying this out in the
coming days and I want to know about any pitfalls to avoid.

--
Nonchalantly yours
GobbledeGeek