[Xen-users] no BkSp in plan9, ubuntu root fs failure, and what's up with

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] no BkSp in plan9, ubuntu root fs failure, and what's up with bsd?
From: Ricardo <djrico@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 17:43:21 -0500
Delivery-date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 22:41:40 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In usual fashion, I have a few questions:

1) I can't get the virtual terminal of plan9 to recognize either my
Backspace or Delete key.  This is particularly annoying; can anyone help?

2) I've got two linux root fs images that I created through dd: one for
rubix and another for ubuntu.  Rubix works brilliantly, but Ubuntu gets
a kernel panic during boot.  The two both mount have the line

    disk = [ 'file:/path/to/image/os.img,/dev/sda1,w' ]

and

    root="/dev/sda1 rw"

where "os" is either "rubix" or "ubuntu".  Ubuntu's failure reads

    Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(8,1)

I don't understand why one should work and the other shouldn't; any ideas?

3) Where can I find a howto on setting up a guest BSD system?  So far
all I've found are places where people say that they've ported BSD to
Xen, and how to make NetBSD a dom0, but nothing about how to set up an
xm config file or what you need in order to run BSD properly.  Can
someone point me in the right direction please?

Sorry to hit so many diverse areas, but these are the real headaches I'm
dealing with.  I appreciate any help.

-Ricardo-