Re: [Xen-users] DomU Bridged vs. Routed Networking?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] DomU Bridged vs. Routed Networking?
From: Alexander Bochmann <ab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 12:51:32 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 10:58:28 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
...on Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 11:47:16PM -0700, Andy Lee wrote:

 > Seems like most users opt for the bridged approach.  Perhaps it's because
 > it is easier to setup and it is the default setting.  For route, I spent
 > several days to learn that /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/proxy_arp needs to
 > be set to 0.  It is not (Debian Sarge).  It should probably be added to
 > /etc/xen/scripts/network-route.

Hm, I also just managed to set up a routed xenU network,
after hitting probably almost any possible pitfall, but
proxy_arp being set wrong was not amongst them (also
Debian Sarge). It's set for the vif's here, but not for
eth0.

Also, the routing setup seems to be documented nowhere
(couldn't find it, at least), except that the network
scripts are being referenced in xend-config.sxp.

(And the NetBSD howto confused me by assigning an
ip address to the bridge parameter for the vif in
their example.)

Alex.