Re: [Xen-users] Warning: unable to open an initial console

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Warning: unable to open an initial console
From: "Michael Paesold" <mpaesold@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 18:02:37 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 16:00:53 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Aaron // LT wrote:
I'm fairly new to Xen (just started testing it today), but I'm having trouble getting the Xen Kernel to start. I use the Xen binary install, and added the following entry to Grub:

title Xen 2.0 / XenLinux 2.6
      kernel /boot/xen-2.0.gz dom0_mem=131072
      module /boot/vmlinuz-2.6-xen0 root=/dev/sda1 ro console=tty0 panic=5

Upon booting up, the kernel boots fine, but then freezes and displays:

Warning: unable to open an initial console

I've tried a few things including removing the console=tty0 line, but have been unable to get it past this point.

This is a brand new install of CentOS 4.1, and running on a Dell 2450, 512MB RAM, SCSI, and 3com network card.

I have a similar problem here. I don't think the problem is related to the console warning. This here is a server bases on the Intel SR1325 mainboard including Adaptec SATA onboard RAID. I have also installed CentOS 4.1 and the latest Xen 2.0.7 binary distribution.

Linux will find the root volume to mount, then after some more messages the boot process freezes.

The last message before the console warning is:
kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds

In native boot, the ordering of the boot messages is rather different, as many of the drivers are modules and loaded only after the root partition.

Could you please help me find the problem here? Should I use a serial cable to get xen console messages? Are there any xen/kernel options I could try set using grub?

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold