[Xen-users] malloc problems?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] malloc problems?
From: Brandon Williams <driftx@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 11:53:55 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:52:27 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

I am having a problem running a rather large bind installation (about
250k domains) inside a domU machine.  Bind itself takes about 600MB of
memory when fully loaded, and I have 840MB allocated to the domU
machine, but bind often reports that there is no more memory for zones
when the memory is nowhere near exhausted.

I originally tried using xen 2.0.5 with the 2.6.11 branch of the linux
kernel for both dom0 and domU, and in this  configuration bind would
think it was out of memory when it had used about 200MB every time.

I tried using a 2.4.30 domU kernel and this worked better to some
degree, but still bind thinks it's out of memory at around 400MB
fairly often.

I upgraded to xen 2.0.6 when it was released, but has been no help.

I started an strace on bind and found that an malloc() call which
should have succeeded was failing, and wrote a test program in C that
mimmicked the bind behavior as much as possible, looping malloc() many
times, and this succeeded so I'm at a loss.

I was going to try switching dom0 to 2.4, but this isn't possible
since I'm using LVM2 due to awful loopback performance.

Outside of xen, the same configurations work perfectly (I'm using xen
to setup a staging environment for these servers), so I know
something's going on here but I can't seem to pinpoint it.

Is anyone else seeing problems like this?  I'm using a dell 2650 with
4GB of memory, and I've tried it on multiple machines all with the
same behavior.