Re: [Xen-users] ramdisk option in domU config file does not work

Sorry, I guess that " the original ramdisk file of RHEL" is kind of misleading here. What I really meant was the ramdisk file generated on RHEL and based on 2.6.12-xenU, not the ramdisk file comes from the distro.

A little bit more information to answer Boris' question:

1. I have 1G memory. Dom0 used 512 MB. In domU file, I set "memory = 128". So it should have enough memory to use.
2. /var/log/xend.log does not say much. Here is the output:

[2005-07-26 17:40:47 xend] DEBUG (image:129) initDomain: cpu=-1 mem_kb=225280 ssidref=-1 dom=4
[2005-07-26 17:40:47 xend] DEBUG (XendDomainInfo:674) init_domain> Created domain=4 name=vm1 memory=220
[2005-07-26 17:40:47 xend] INFO (image:178) buildDomain os=linux dom=4 vcpus=1
[2005-07-26 17:40:47 xend] INFO (XendRoot:128) EVENT> xend.domain.create ['vm1', 4]
[2005-07-26 17:40:47 xend] INFO (XendRoot:128) EVENT> xend.virq 3

Thanks,
Li
Inactive hide details for Li Ge/Austin/IBM@IBMUSLi Ge/Austin/IBM@IBMUS

          Li Ge/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
          Sent by: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

          07/26/2005 05:30 PM

aliguori@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

cc

xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, dfbp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, boris.lenzinger@xxxxxxxxx

Subject

Re: [Xen-users] ramdisk option in domU config file does not work

Dave and I both used the initrd-2.6.12-xenU file which was based on /lib/modules/2.6.12-xenU.

Li
Inactive hide details for aliguori@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxaliguori@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

                  aliguori@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                  Sent by: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

                  07/26/2005 05:22 PM

Li Ge/Austin/IBM@IBMUS

Li Ge wrote:

> This problem seems to have something to do with the size of the
> ramdisk file. But I am not quite sure.
>
> I tried it on different distros(SLES9, RHEL4, FC3). Here is what I
> observed:
>
> 1. Can not create domU with ramdisk option using the domU initrd file
> (1.2 MB) of SLES9 or the domU initrd file (1.4 MB) of RHEL.
> 2. I can create domU on one RHEL box with ramdisk option using the
> initrd-2.6.12-xenU file copied from another Fedora Core box, which has
> relatively smaller file size (300KB). But using the original ramdisk
> file of RHEL, I failed to create domU.
>
> Is there a limitation for ramdisk file size, for example <1M?

The typically limitation is 4MB which is what our default ramdisk size is.

Please note, that you cannot use out-of-the-box ramdisk that come from
distros as they contain kernel modules that have not been compiled for
Xen.  You must make a ramdisk with the appropriate utilities.

Dave might be running into the same problem.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori