Re: [Xen-users] Domain0 memory requirements?

To: "John Fairbairn" <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Domain0 memory requirements?
From: "Chris de Vidal" <Chris@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 10:19:50 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 14:17:10 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
John Fairbairn said this with great authority:
> What were the errors?

I don't recall but they're reproducable.  Would you like to see them?

> I know on CentOS(RHEL) it will warn you that it will
> not run as a "supported" configuration without 256M ram, this doesnt mean
> it won't run on less though. In general I run my dom0 on about 128-256M.
> 128M is not really all that much these days. If you are thinking of
> running 32meg domU's you may want to go with a minimal linux distro. but I
> think the 128M ram on your dom0 is a worthwhile investment for stabilty if
> nothing else.

I'm starting a business on a shoestring budget so even extra RAM is
expensive.  Domain0 is on a minimal distro -- Debian 3.1r0a base install
with no extra unnecessary packages and all unnecessary services disabled.
At boot it uses 4MB RAM!

And I was only running a copy of Domain0 in a guest domain when I started
getting memory errors.

Because of that, 128MB seems a bit much for one trimmed-down guest domain.
 Hence the question: what are Xen's domain0 memory requirements?  I don't
see them in the documentation...

CD

Ever lied?  You're a liar.  Ever stolen?  You're a thief.  Ever hated? The
bible equates hate with murder.  Ever lusted?  Jesus equated lust with
adultery.  You've broken God's law.

He'll judge all evil and you're without hope -- unless you have a savior.
Repent and believe.