Re: [Xen-users] how to compile a xen kernel on fedora core 1

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] how to compile a xen kernel on fedora core 1
From: Ernst Bachmann <e.bachmann@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:04:12 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 12:03:00 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tuesday 12 July 2005 13:55, Shahzad Chohan wrote:

> I have read the instructions on compiling a kernel, but I'm not 100%
> sure. All the docs I have read call for me to download the stock
> kernel from kernel.org. Since I am using fedora, fedora provide a
> kernel-source package for the 2.4 kernel. If I download and install
> that it installs the packages in /usr/src/linux-2.4.21-27.0.4.EL.
>
> The next point is to put the kernel source (i.e
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.21-27.0.4.EL) inside my xen-2.0 directory, then do
> a make menuconfig ARCH=xen.
>
> My only question is that right?
>
> When I do do this I keep getting:
>
> make: *** No rule to make target `menuconfig`.  Stop.

xen comes with a sparse tree (new files for the kernel source) and a set of
patches for a kernel.

What you'll have to do is:
1) copy the sparse tree into your kernel dir (no files should be overwritten
by this)
(or the other way round, copy the kernel dir into the sparse tree)
2) apply the patches to your kernel source.

You don't have to be in your xen sourcedir to do that, you also could leave
the kernel in /usr/src and patch + copy there.

Greetings,
/Ernst