[Xen-users] root partition for dom0 and other domains

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] root partition for dom0 and other domains
From: Ardalan K <ardalanbiz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 10:58:33 -0700 (PDT)
Delivery-date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 17:57:24 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm new to Xen and ran into a problem in booting up
dom0. I have a few stupid questions about root
partitions for dom0 and domU that I could n't find
their answers in the mailing list:

1) What we specify in menu.lst as the root partition
(eg. root=/dev/hda5 ) for dom0 is the partition where
xen0 kernel resides? Is this the same partition as the
root for my plain linux (the one that boots without
xen)?

Here is part of my menu.lst (I have one root partition
hda5 plus an additional hda7 partition for setting up
LVM for additional domains):
###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier:
Original name: linux###
title Linux
    kernel (hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda5
vga=0x31a splash=silent desktop hdd=ide-scsi hddlun=0
showopts
    initrd (hd0,4)/boot/initrd

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier:
Original name: xen###
title Xen 2.0 / XenLinux 2.6
    kernel (hd0,4)/boot/xen-2.0.gz dom0_mem=131072
    module (hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6-xen0
root=/dev/hda5 console=tty0
    module (hd0,4)/boot/initrd

During the boot process, it fails when trying to mount
the root file system. It says "dirty filesystem" and
mounts it only read-only.

2) Similarly, when I start additional domains, am I
still refering to the partition where the xen0 or xenU
kernels reside or the filesystem they are going to be
mounted on? I think the latter should be correct, but
if that is the case, do all the kernels reside in the
domain0?

3) I also could n't find /lib/tls on my system. It
might be because I am running Suse 9.0.

THanks a lot.