[Xen-users] Mtu/802.1Q limits on vif ??

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Mtu/802.1Q limits on vif ??
From: Yann Dupont <Yann.Dupont@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 16:52:54 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 14:51:43 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello. I'm new to the list and I hope this is not a FAQ. I searched the
archives and didn't find an answer...

Quick question :
Is there a limitation if the vif code cutting at 1500 bytes ??

I'm trying to implement an IPv6 router/Firewall (2 XenU)

Xen 2.0.6,
Linux 2.6 is used on xen0 and XenU.

The physical machine has 2 interfaces, eth0 (which is connected to an
ethernet, non 802.1q port )
and eth1 (which is connected to an ethernet 802.1q port)

eth0 is connected to a bridge whith the first vif of the FW6,
eth1 is connected to a bridge with the first vif of the router. (And,
BTW 2nd vif of the FW6 & 1st vif of router 6 are connected via a third
bridge)

The idea is to get the 802.1Q port on the Router6 host (via the bridge),
and then use virtual interfaces (eth1.xxx where xxx are the vlan ID)
inside the XenU.

Well, it works, only if I use mtu 1496 for the vifs.
I know the physical interfaces (eepro1000) can cope with vlan natively.
Don't know for the bridge code but i'm not aware of limitations there.

So it is a limitation on vif code ??

--
Yann Dupont, Cri de l'université de Nantes
Tel: 02.51.12.53.91 - Fax: 02.51.12.58.60 - Yann.Dupont@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx