Re: [Xen-users] xenU does nothing

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xenU does nothing
From: sten <lists@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 00:12:13 -0500
Delivery-date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 05:11:00 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
John Smith wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 21:30:53 -0500
sten <lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm finally getting to play with Xen, and my plan is to stick all my PCI devices into a few dedicated xenU domains; I'm starting with the easy stuff, setting up a Xen guest kernel to manage my physical NICs. approximately everything available built as modules, and/or why my instance doesn't boot? I've included my instance config file and attached my xenU kernel config.

Thanks!

-sten

Hi Sten,

        what I would do is put the domU kernel straight into the boot
loader (grub) and test wether it works without xen.

Sincerely,

Jan.

Attempting to boot my xenU kernel straight from GRUB results in a "unsupported or invalid executable" message; this occurs with both XenU and Xen0 kernels, and I assume it's expected behavior since the kernels are compiled for the Xen architecture rather than i386. Feel free to beat me with a trout if I'm wrong on this.

I went back and tried using my XenU kernel as dom0, which promptly failed with "not syncing: VFS". I built an initrd image for the XenU kernel, and then I was able to boot with the XenU kernel as dom0; I got to a command prompt and could log in. I bounced back into my original Xen0 kernel, added a "ramdisk = " line to my xenu config file, re-ran xm create -c myfile, and, again, it sat and did nothing.

Maybe the problem isn't the kernel after all; I've tried two types of VBDs, file-backed and LVM. I created an LVM image with debootstrap, and created the file-backed VBD by dd'ing the contents of my LV into a file. I also tried using the process for creating a file-backed VBD in the Xen user guide verbatim, and same result. Is there a more foolproof way of creating a VBD I could try?

Thanks!
-sten