[Xen-users] Xen asymmetric bandwidth

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen asymmetric bandwidth
From: Ralf Lübben <ralfluebben@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 11:47:38 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 09:50:54 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

I did some network benchmarking on Xen.
The setup were two pentium 4 2.66 machines with xen kernel 2.6.10 and
gigabit ethernet cards.
I did the benchmark with iperf.

On a normal system I get a maximum bandwidth of 620MBit/s and with Xen about
500MBit/s.
With Iperf you have the possibility to send and receive simultaneous.
On the normal system distribution is symmetric. Pro channel about 310MBit/s
so the sum is 620MBit/s again. On Xen the distribution is asymmetric. The
domain can receive about 320MBit/s but it can only send 180MBit/s. The sum
is also 500MBit/s.

Has anybody an idea why the distribution is asymmetric?

Thanks.

Greetings
Ralf Lübben