Re: [Xen-users] help with "error extent to vbd failed: ... error 8"

On Sun, Jun 19, 2005 at 05:08:56PM +0100, Mark Williamson wrote:
> The "uname" format is the {file,phy,nbd}:/{path}:{other stuff} form we use to
> describe the "source device" in dom0.

ah ok. A question: Why the the error-message that cryptic :) ?
Isn't it (easily) possible to give out the involved line, or a short
description why it failed or at least replacing "segment" with "device"?
(The latter is another question, why is it a "segment"?)

Anyway...

> The "segment not found" message suggests that the device node output from the
> block script was not found in /dev.  That's probably because you're stripping
> off the "/dev" prefix in order to fit with the BSD command syntax.  Xend

Yes I do. See below, tho

> probably needs the full path in order to find the device node - if you
> prepend /dev to the name of the device before the script echos it then it
> should work.

Well, I have another config, this time it is just a "test"-case, it uses:
disk = ['phy:/dev/wd0a,0x3301,w' ]

(The NetBSD-guide noted that xen wants to look-up the second argument,
and make something so linux likes it better or whatever; However the guide
says that xen would try to lookup hde1 on netbsd (that is not there);
Said guide is http://www.NetBSD.org/Ports/xen/howto.html . Scroll down to
"Create Linux unprivileged domains". (Actually, is major << 8 + minor of
hde1 0x3301 :D ?))

However, that also gives me that error, so "uname=phy:/dev/wd0a". And trust
me, that is there ;)

> If you can get this working, then a patch would be very welcome.

Well I deleted the sed-part that made /dev/ disappear. This time I
get the old error, device (vbd (uname file:/xen/...) (dev hda1) (mode w)),
error 8