Re: [Xen-users] Quirky Bug: "cat /dev/urandom"

To: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Quirky Bug: "cat /dev/urandom"
From: William Schaller <wschalle@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 08:32:44 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 08:25:26 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Here's the scenario: I'm using two ssh windows to control the box.
With one, I start xend, create the domain. With the other, I use xm
console to log into the domain. Logged into the domain, I exec cat
/dev/urandom. Predictably, the screen starts to fill with junk. At
this point, ctrl-c, nor any other method of escaping either cat or
this console will work. Attempting any command using xm or xend in the
other window simply hangs until I ctrl-c. Stopping and restarting xend
has no effect. I can kill the bash process the other window is
running, but if I reconnect to the console, I get the same garbage
dumping endlessly.

I discovered this while testing out the balloon driver. I was going to
cat /dev/urandom > file for a while until I had about 60 GB, then gzip
the file to see if I would get a OOM. But I left off the > file and
ended up with the above conundrum.

-Bill