RE: [Xen-users] Newbie XEN problem

To: "Jure Lampe" <Jure.Lampe@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Newbie XEN problem
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 10:14:58 +0100
Cc: ian.pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 09:14:13 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Situation:
> IBM A50 P4/3G HT, 2Gb RAM, SATA NCQ Seagate disk, SUSE 9.3
> Prof, kernel 2.6, SUSE standard installation for XEN.
>
> A machine is working perfect in SUSE env., but I have
> problems with XEN. If I only boot with XEN (only with dom0)
> it works, then freeze in 10 min (light for HD is full ON).

Sounds like Xen is unhappy on your hardware, possibly an interrupt
problem. Since this code is very different in the unstable (3.0
development series) there's a fair chance it will already be fixed.

What drivers/modules does the kernel have loaded? Can you provoke the
bug more quickly by generating activity on the local disk e.g. with
'dd'?

It would be good to compare the boot output of native and Xen kernels
booting.

You'll probably need to switch to building your own Xen installation
from source to make progress on this.

Ian