Re: [Xen-users] Confusion about Kernel in Installation process

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Confusion about Kernel in Installation process
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 17:54:11 +0100
Cc: prosolutions@xxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 16 May 2005 16:59:55 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> There are some things about the Xen installation process that are not
> clear to me.  I have successfully run "make world" on the xen-source and
> notice it has built a bunch of kernels for me.  However, in the Xen
> User's Manual almost nothing is said about the kernel building process
> nor what the disctinction is between these various kernels it builds.

The build process produces three images used to boot Xen domains:

* xen.gz - Xen itself.  You need to boot this in your grub.conf / menu.lst
* vmlinuz-2.6.11-xen0 - a "domain 0" (host) enabled kernel.  You need to pass
this to Xen in your grub.conf / menu.lst
* vmlinuz-2.6.11-xenU - a guest-only kernel.  You can boot guest domains from
this instead of using the -xen0 kernel.  The only difference is it's slightly
smaller because it includes only "virtual" drivers.

> My question is: Why should the user not just patch the kernel with
> whatever required patches there are and then compile the kernel himself?
> The make script seems to be nice but unfortunately I have no idea what
> it is actually doing.  For example, are there specific options in the
> Linux kernel which need to be disabled or enabled for the Xen kernels?
> Why not just instruct the user to patch the kernel with the appropriate
> patches and to dis(en)able whatever options are necessary?

You can cd linux-2.6.11-xen0 and do "make ARCH=xen menuconfig" to configure.
You may want to copy your existing .config into that directory first.

Alternatively, stick your config under "dist/install/boot/config-2.6.11-xen0"
and it should get applied automatically.

Cheers,
Mark