[Xen-users] Diskspace to DomU

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Diskspace to DomU
From: "Jake Stevenson" <jake_s@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 20:01:57 -0500
Delivery-date: Mon, 16 May 2005 01:01:30 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

I am about to setup a new Xen server which will host a few DomU's, one of which will be a file server.
The file server will, naturally, have quite a lot of disk space and my question is:

If my file servrer domain uses a lot of disk space and the disks used are on two separate controllers, is it possible to dedicate those two PCI-devices to the domain and have that domain run LVM or EVMS to manage the disks itself instead of exporting a volume through Dom0?

And if it is, which is best? Does it yield better performance this way, or should I stick with exporting it through Dom0?

Oh, I have already used dedicated Ethernet NICs for a few domains so I now it is possible to assign PCI devices to privileged domains, so my first question is really if block devices is a "special case" which will not work.....

Any input is appreciated.

Best Regards
Jake S.