Re: [Xen-users] Xen/Pizzbox Server Testimonial Request

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Remi Broemeling <rbroemeling@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen/Pizzbox Server Testimonial Request
From: "Lars E. D. Jensen | DCmedia" <ledj@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 09:25:20 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 12 May 2005 07:24:57 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> So, I thought I would ask: what are people "out there" running
> Xen/Linux on?  What is the easiest 1U server (dual-processor, 1-2GB of
> RAM, etc.) that you can think of to get Xen/Linux to run (and run
> _well_) on, with a minimum of playing with this module/upgrading that
> program or library, and so forth.
>
> If it matters, we run Debian in-house, so we'll be setting these boxes

We run Xen on Debian Sarge on a Supermicro Dual 3.06 64 bit and 4 GB RAM,
though not using 64 bit yet which is mainly because of Xen but also because
of the scsi-driver that isn't 64 bit clean for the scsi-onboard-controller
which is bad luck! I don't understand why the reseller sell a combination of
64 bit hardware which isn't working with the scsi-controller on linux.

Anyway the Supermicro with Xen runs a fairly big website with about 30-60K
unique visitors each month on a filebacked domU with 1 GB RAM.
Surveilance checks every 5 minutes for a responsetime from three different
physical locations and triggers an alarm if it goes above 5000 ms. It has run
almost for a month and no alarms :) And a weekly newsletter to about 20K
subscribers is also sent from this domU.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best regards
Lars E. D. Jensen - DCmedia