Re: [Xen-users] filesystem image of Fedora Core for Xen? / Others VM

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] filesystem image of Fedora Core for Xen? / Others VM
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 22:27:12 +0100
Cc: Kristinn Soffanias Runarsson <soffanias@xxxxxxxxx>, Ted Hilts <thilts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Antoine Nivard <anivard@xxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 21:27:14 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

This effort is a great development, thank you all for the resources you've put
into it so far.  Ian and I talked about the possibility of a repository of
distributions around the Xen 1.2 timeframe but I never got time to make it
happen.

One thing we did discuss at the time was the format of the distribution
images: disk files are good for trying stuff out, since they're easily
configured.  However, simple tarballs of the filesystem also seemed like an
attractive option: they don't limit you to a given disk size or a particular
filesystem and can be easily unpacked wherever you want.  This would make it
simple to use NFS exports as root filesystems.

What do you guys think?  Maybe useful as an alternative format, alongside
simple disk images?

Cheers,
Mark