xen-tools

RE: [Xen-tools] Recent xenstore updates

To: "Rusty Russell" <rusty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-tools] Recent xenstore updates
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 03:11:07 +0100
Cc: Xen Tools <xen-tools@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 02:09:20 +0000
Sender: xen-tools-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> This was the original intention, but it's been problematic in
> practice.
> There's no simple way to implement timeouts, since eg. a core
> dump daemon would be expected to take minutes.

Well, we could have a 'keep alive' protocol, and/or a timeout specified
upon registration of the handler.

> > What's the story for doing the above without support for priorites?
> > Are we going to have to create some other convention that
> enables the
> > various dameons to serialize themselves into the right
> (partial)order?

> Consider this alternate strategy which is more robust
> (although it's quite possible that xend execing known paths
> is a better model in practice, and this generality is way overkill):
>
>       postmortemd registers interest by creating directory:
>               mkdir .../notification/death/postmortemd
>
>       xend writes uuid to each dir under notification/death/
>               write .../notification/death/postmortemd/<uuid>
>
>       postmortemd does work, then deletes node.
>               rm .../notification/death/postmortemd/<uuid>
>
>       xend notices deletion, notifies next daemon/cleans up etc.
>
> In this case, the data contains the information, and it's
> fairly easy to ensure that any of the daemons can be
> restarted at any time and see what work there is to do.
>
> It's also fairly easy for xend to implement a priority
> scheme, filtering or whatever turns out to make sense.  A
> variant is that the event ("death" in this example) actually
> written into the <uuid> node, rather than being implied by
> the directory.

Sure, it's possible to do it by convention using a daemon to implement
the 'work flow'.

I see this as rather a shame though. Once we move to the phase 3 tools
it would be nice to have all the 'sensors and actuators' that are
'below' xenstore being co-ordinated entirely from the store, without
need for some separate daemon that they have to register with for the
sole purpose of sequencing.

I think we should re-evaluate the need for sequencing support in
xenstore when we get to this stage.

Ian