xen-ppc-devel

[XenPPC] A bunch of questions - arch_vcpu, hcall/papr/hypercall

To: xen-ppc-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [XenPPC] A bunch of questions - arch_vcpu, hcall/papr/hypercall
From: Christian Ehrhardt <ehrhardt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 09:38:42 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 01:37:28 -0700
Sender: xen-ppc-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi everyone,
I have several issues where I need your help to understand xenppc so that I don't get lost in the code. I try to number the questions so no one can be overseen in the text.

1. arch_vcpu
I order to be able to save/restore performance sprs I need a per vcpu storage, because it only affects our architecture it seemed logic to put that into arch_vcpu (defined in include/asm-powerpc/domain.h). I searched for a while with grep, cscope, ... but unfortunately I can't find the initialization of the variables in the arch_vcpu struct. I found some initializations of the similar arch_domain in arch/powerpc/domain.c and the general vcpu initialization in common/domain.c. The only related arch dependent init is in arch/powerpc/domain.c in the function alloc_vcpu_struct, but it looked to small for me because it only does alloc/memset zero. I need to initialize my variables, so I welcome every hint where I could find (or create if really not existant) the initialization of the arch_vcpu part.

2. background hcall, hypercall, papr call
Sorry for the confusion jimi, but up to your last mails I don't even know that they are different things. I know the "xen hypercalls" from the xen docs, but can someone please describe (or point to a doc) what the other(s) is/are?
Whats the difference between them?
When do we use which kind of call in xenppc?
Hopefully I understand the suggestion of "ppc_md.enable_pmcs = xen_enable_pmcs;" from Jimi after that ;)

3. background hcall, hypercall, papr call - second one
I hope to get a "I see" with the answer to number two, but it would be really helpful to have some brief cookbook like instructions that describe for the different calls what is and where it need to be implemented - look there for an example.
Here a wrong example what I hope to get ;)
Xen Hypercall foo_op:
0. Xen & Domain set up an event channel foo_chan - look in xen/bar/file.c & arch/powerpc/platforms/xen/hcall.c 1. The Domain needs to setup a irq vector for the irq of the event channel - look arch/powerpc/foo.c 2. Xen uses the event channel to notify the domain - look xen/arch/powerpc/foo.c
papr hcall XY:
1. ...

--

Grüsse / regards, Christian Ehrhardt

IBM Linux Technology Center, Open Virtualization
+49 7031/16-3385
Ehrhardt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ehrhardt@xxxxxxxxxx

IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Johann Weihen Geschäftsführung: Herbert Kircher Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen