xen-ppc-devel

Re: [XenPPC] Profiling in xen – ppc considerations

To: Jimi Xenidis <jimix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [XenPPC] Profiling in xen – ppc considerations
From: Christian Ehrhardt <ehrhardt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 11:17:14 +0100
Cc: xen-ppc-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 03:16:56 -0700
Sender: xen-ppc-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jimi Xenidis wrote:
Christian, nice summary.
One question I have is does Xen allow the domain to extract domain oprofile information as linxu would without Xen, or does xen allow for some transport that eases the collection?
Short Answer: "some transport "- Shared buffers (Xen/Guests) + xen virtual interrupts which are received in the linux oprofile driver for xen Long Answer: Every explanation would be almost identical to http://xenoprof.sourceforge.net/xenoprof_2.0.txt so I recommend to read this because section one explains the background mechanisms.

Anyway.. Lets stick with oprofiling the domains only.
There really very little Linux work to do here.  We need:
 1. An hcall that turn the performance monitor on for the domain
2. Save and restore the relevant registers for any domain that is has it turned on.
 3. Turn it off for domains that have it disabled.

So you suggest to freeze counters while hypervisor or other domains are running via "Performance Monitor Mark" MSR(PMM) and "Freeze counters while Mark" MMCR0(FCM0/1) - combined with keeping the interrupt handler in the linux code ? ->Is it allowed to direct an interrupt directly to a linux guest in xen (If there would be too much latency between the irq and the read of the samples we may block a lot of occurring perf interrupts before we are resetting MMCR0(PMAE))? Otherwise it would end up very similar to the xeonoprof approach that handles the interrupt in xen which put the data to a shared buffer and then passing the information about "new data" to the appropriate domain with a virtual interrupt. ->Is there a single or at least limited number of transition points between domains (e.g. in the scheduler) and xen where we could place a hook to change the MSR(PMM) as we need it or will this state transition need to be spread all over the code?

I also must add that this would not solve the described issue that another domain could write to the performance monitor registers and interfere a profiling session. If we decide that this issue is negligible for the moment we could also continue the xenoprof oriented approach which would provide us with the profiling of multiple domains and xen itself.

I can't really estimate if it would be a worthwhile task to implement this Domain only profiling and then switching/extending it, do you think it is that much easier to implement this in the first place ? I thought we should think/decide about the privilege issue I described. Especially in view of the fact that this applies to both approaches.

you can see the hcall being setup here:
arch/powerpc/platforms/pseries/setup.c pSeries_setup_arch 322 ppc_md.enable_pmcs = pseries_lpar_enable_pmcs;

Here is the spec:

Lets try and go deep with this and then think about how to oprofile Xen itself.
-JX