xen-ppc-devel

[XenPPC] Re: Periodic VIRQ_TIMER required?

To: Hollis Blanchard <hollisb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [XenPPC] Re: Periodic VIRQ_TIMER required?
From: Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 17:24:18 +0000
Cc: Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@xxxxxx>, xen-ppc-devel <xen-ppc-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 09:23:22 -0800
Sender: xen-ppc-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 9/3/07 21:16, "Hollis Blanchard" <hollisb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So in conclusion, I think we'll need the legacy behavior, though it
might be interesting for us in the future to modify Linux to use hcalls
to create timer events.

Okay. That’s where Jeremy is going with the paravirt_ops patches (for x86 only right now, of course). Linux 2.6 now has dynticks (as of 2.6.21-rc I think) which means the kernel can run tickless, which is nice when running in a virtualised environment.

I’ll give you back the old behaviour for now.

 -- Keir