Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] the xenLinux/IA64 upstream merge and Fedora.

To: Isaku Yamahata <yamahata@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] the xenLinux/IA64 upstream merge and Fedora.
From: Jarod Wilson <jwilson@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 00:33:48 -0500
Cc: "Stephen C. Tweedie" <sct@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 21:34:16 -0800
Sender: xen-ia64-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Isaku Yamahata wrote:
Hi Xen/IA64 developers.
Recently Red hat publicly announced that they decided to work
on the dom0 upstream merge for the long term xen support on Fedora.
  https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-xen/2007-November/msg00106.html
  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/XenPvops
And actually they seem to begin their activity on the mailing lists.
So we want to push our Linux modification to the upstream too.
Otherwise xenLinux/IA64 will become rotten rapidly after their merge.

I'd like to share informations and opinions to avoid duplicate works.
Please comments.

Some questions.
- Is anyone already working on it?
- What code base is best to begin with?
Although the official xenLinux/IA64 tree is http://xenbits.xensource.com/ext/ia64/linux-2.6.18-xen.hg
  Does Fedora have any forward ported tree?

Specific to ia64, no. Fedora isn't officially built on ia64 at the moment, so it gets very little love outside of RHEL5. Last I looked into it (more than 6 months ago, iirc), trying to even compile the 2.6.21-based Fedora xen kernel on ia64 failed miserably pretty early in the build. Didn't have time to look into it, nor do I recall the specifics of the failure. But the work being done for x86 is available from the Fedora devel kernel-xen-2.6 module. I can dig up access info in the morning if someone doesn't beat me to it, its past my bed time right now. :)

--
Jarod Wilson
jwilson@xxxxxxxxxx