Re: [Xen-devel] HVR-4000 DVB can't scan or tune (properly) with Xen

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] HVR-4000 DVB can't scan or tune (properly) with Xen
From: "jonathanjstevens@xxxxxxxxx" <jonathanjstevens@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 15:59:49 +0000
Delivery-date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 08:02:44 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=OzDQ9mmcw3CbRdTVY7REF9RwDfRU+rb7XCWdpTu0t48=; b=g96Ne9uCZg5+gnQTBTQJLXHcgAl1EeN5TJli9JZpzt8jG6pK1+y2rDmQv4u9IQ265Q TpJrjHQrWgBO9oFk4WGpAYKJx91l1POf1KblP4hl1NrUQJ2Sxtvey0z3jY97FuqpRblc 41T3zU4rzezkujgu2J1hWvhAVm5+eoba1x9Zk=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Why did pick irqpoll? Was there something in the past that was hanging on
> your box.

It was mentioned in one of the possibly related bug reports I came
across when trying to figure out what was wrong. Purely added to try
to solve the issue in hand.

>> > 1). Boot your Linux machine with 'mem=3G' and see if that makes the issue
>> >    disappear.
>>
>> I have tried mem=2G and 4G (not 3 but I will if you think it'll be
>> different).
>> I have also been trying with ballooning disabled, and with dom0_mem=2G / 4G
>> I also tried swiotlb=65762
>> I have tried most combinations of the above - but not necessarily all.
>
> And all fail? Was this with the irqpoll option?
> Is this a two socket box?

Yes. Yes.
No.

> rpmfusion has a version of it built for F16.
Thanks.

> Well, that one is the worry some one. It reads as if it can't get the
> interrupts fast enough, which would be worrysome.
>
> I think I need to look at the code itself to get a better understanding
> of where that 'irq aud ..' is.
>

> Are there cheap versions of these DVB cards? I've only Hauppage PV-150 which
> works for me, but that is not a DVB type card.

Hrm.. Not sure about that. I have another machine here which I might
be able to setup on a DMZ (I work in networks so the home net is
fairly well defended...) and give you remote (ssh) access to. I've got
a spare drive so I could install a fresh system on and I could put one
of the HVR-4000 cards in there. It's reasonably similar hardware, so
you'd be welcome to use and abuse it as a test bed if you like. Would
save you having to buy a card and I'd feel like I was helping :) Would
that be useful? I guess it wouldn't do any harm to try this on another
motherboard/CPU anyway.... I've seen "Sandybridge" cause some odd
issues...