Re: [Xen-devel] Allowing several mappings of a frame

To: Keir Fraser <keir.xen@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Allowing several mappings of a frame
From: Mohammad Hedayati <hedayati.mo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 12:27:17 +0330
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 02:00:47 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to :cc:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=FCPBzuCCF4I7rFfN+I8Krmmp+4SGyiuWgJ1t4ORWkc0=; b=ZcJhhxZc+gNtsSw0pgCzAVs6/wA1mnKZ/38C2WMhhoi8vNhrteAGRt+YAZflrUBJF2 a8YufaQpk3nOBBFPWrf1RgL3PXoNEOAd9WXYWiQXYBnJt0qQCYabPCUfxj8V8q7b2V+Y PQbraYuinEd51OnvyJsfR7sQf6AjcvWnMEKhE=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 1:25 AM, Keir Fraser <keir.xen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 27/10/2011 22:16, "Mohammad Hedayati" <hedayati.mo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Xen currently allows granting a single frame to several domains,
>> several times (to map or copy). Though the feature itself seems
>> appealing, I wonder if there's a real use case in any ports or PV
>> aware applications (i.e. a page is mapped or copied by more than 2
>> domains). Is there?
>
> It wouldn't typically happen.
>
>> Except the condition outlined above, PGC_count_mask part of a
>> page->count_info can be more than 1?
>
> Yes. Go trace some count_info values in a running system. Most will be >1.

I have traced the faulting pages in do_page_fault (where else?). The
pages with more than one reference (PGC_count_mask & page->count_info)
were flagged as PGT_lx_page_table or PGT_seg_desc_page (are the
mappers dom_xen, dom_cow or dom_io?). Is there more than one reference
for an ordinary pages?

>  -- Keir
>
>> Thanks,
>> Mohammad

How can I know, in addition to the owner, who has mapped a page?

What does (PGT_count_mask &  page->u.inuse.type_info) show? Why it is
not the same as (PGC_count_mask & page->count_info)?

Is there a documentation other than the comments in the code?

Thanks,
Mohammad