Re: [Xen-devel] Missing blktap(2) driver in kernel-2.6.32-*.el6.xendom0.

To: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Missing blktap(2) driver in kernel-2.6.32-*.el6.xendom0.x86_64.rpm
From: M A Young <m.a.young@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 23:03:02 +0100 (BST)
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, David Della Vecchia <ddv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 15:06:20 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 26 Oct 2011, M A Young wrote:

On Sun, 16 Oct 2011, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:

On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 08:35:23AM -0400, David Della Vecchia wrote:
   I'm not sure if this belongs here, but someone in the ##xen channel in
[1]irc.freenode.net told me to message this list and let people know about and/or inquire as to why the blktap (or better yet blktap2) driver is not included in M A Young's aforementioned kernels, blkbackend is there but it
   does not allow for tap:aio disks in the domU's.
   Thanks,

The answer is that it isn't there because I haven't got the kernel to compile with it enabled. I may have another look at it, but it may be that it requires too much needs to change to get it working.

As I suspected it will be a fair amount of work to get blktap working on RHEL6. It seems that Red Hat have back ported some of the block device code from later kernels, and I don't think there is a corresponding blktap for those kernels yet.

        Michael Young