Re: [Xen-devel] Compilation problems: oldstyle/xenlinux 2.6.38, blktap2

To: "Alex Bligh" <alex@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Compilation problems: oldstyle/xenlinux 2.6.38, blktap2
From: "Jan Beulich" <JBeulich@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 08:29:48 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 00:31:07 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>> On 18.10.11 at 20:57, Alex Bligh <alex@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> As far as I can tell from the Makefile, both directories are always built:
>
>   obj-$(CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_TAP2)           += blktap2/ blktap2-new/
>
> What's the difference between blktap2 and blktap2-new? Should only
> one be built? I can't see a config option that switches between them.

Yeah, assuming he (as always) just took our patches, the this isn't
meant to be used with CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_TAP2=y (which we
never do). Setting it to =m will get you going. I'll see if I can adjust
this (but only in the current patch sets) so that it won't end up trying
to build both into the kernel.

Under the same assumption - the difference between the two is that
-new is what is in the pv-ops kernel (but not upstream), while the
other is the forward port from the 2.6.18 tree.

> I know one option is to just build blktap instead and ignore blktap2.
> If I want to run this as a dom0 for Xen 3.3, will I lose anything
> by not having blktap2?

Quite obviously your kernel will lack support for any of the tap2:
protocols.

Jan