Re: [Xen-devel] cap and reservation functionality in the credit2 schedul

To: Eunbyung Park <silverbottlep@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] cap and reservation functionality in the credit2 scheduler?
From: George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 11:24:18 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 05 Oct 2011 03:27:53 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:sender:in-reply-to:references:date :x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type; bh=0emxnkwwZ+O9LBFyuJxy+qS/js2+wPnNLJ2C6oywG2g=; b=EQ90ndvDSv6T5AigknDYqJr8uxkMvPQRrA0iDQKQ6hAbUc1G+idF0KVAwqp0QzgLEe Kl11Oft36yMLNSxdufHgNxfovcQ07lKZAPgmXFSGNKT8XtglhN3jiG6imxr6foJRsEuy CgD6WeE5f2np2Ko54oYCTZ2AflgODfMrbfhQQ=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2011/10/5 Eunbyung Park <silverbottlep@xxxxxxxxx>:
> As far as I know, from the up-to-date xen-unstable, the credit2
> scheduler lacks the functionalities of cap and reservation.
>
> Is there any on-going work for this?
>
> I would really expect the functions to come into us. :)

Unfortuantely not -- the credit2 work has been stalled for lack of resources.

> >From my humble point of view, probably additional timer may be required
> to implement them because there isn't any periodic timer in the credit2
> unlike the previous credit scheduler.
>
> what do you think about it?

I'm not opposed in principle, but until I've seen the whole algorithm,
I can't really comment. :-)  Do you have an algorithm in mind?

Unfortunately, I never got around to solving that part.  I was focused
on getting a clean, simple, mostly predictable algorithm to handle
weights.  The algorithm itself may therefore need some tweaking to
make cap / reservation possible.

 -George