Re: [Xen-devel] Re: kernel BUG at mm/swapfile.c:2527!

To: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: kernel BUG at mm/swapfile.c:2527!
From: Kent Hoxsey <khoxsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 16:30:40 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Delivery-date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 09:33:42 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Joining this thread lately as a follow-on from a similar problem that is
happening in Amazon AWS instances. There is a thread on the AWS forums where an
instance owner has figured out how to cause this bug on demand using apache and
PHP:

https://forums.aws.amazon.com/thread.jspa?messageID=269851

In case those forums require a login, the php script to hit is:

<?php
$data = array();
for($x = 0; $x< 10000; $x++)
{
        for($y = 0; $y<1000; $y++){
                $data[][]=rand(1,100000);
        }
}
echo count($data);

I am not a PHP programmer, so unsure if that php tag needs to be closed or not,
but that is what is posted on the forum. Run apache bench against your test URL
with 200 concurrent connections.

My Amazon instance isn't running PHP but encounters a similar problem once a
day (1:48pm Pacific). I cannot allow people onto the instance but am willing to
run diagnostics and post them here.

Kent